Dementia Support Groups in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
Living with dementia can be extremely difficult, and patients often need assistance in coping with confusion, behavioral changes, and the anxiety cognitive conditions bring. The same is true for caregivers, who may feel high levels of stress in response to the demands of supporting a spouse or family member. For those living in the Greater Pennsylvania region, help is available at The Arbors III, a St. Barnabas living assistance community. We offer support groups for individuals living with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, as well as their caretakers.
The Challenges of Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease
Living with any impairment brings challenges, as does providing care for individuals with special needs. Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia-related conditions, however, can be especially painful. Patients may feel frightened by the changes they are experiencing, including:
- Memory loss
- General confusion
- Mood changes
- Difficulty carrying on a conversation
- Struggling with common tasks and activities they once enjoyed
- Trouble concentrating
At the same time, loved ones may struggle to understand how best to support an individual as they face these difficulties. It’s very common for caregivers to experience a vast array of emotions, including anger, depression, and guilt, and it’s not always easy to talk about.
Because of this, it’s extremely important that all parties receive support during these trying times. With caring companions and input from others who have gone through similar experiences, you can find ways to alleviate stress and enjoy time spent together with less frustration and anxiety.
How Can Dementia Support Groups Help?
There’s no denying the benefits of professional help when dealing with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. At the same time, interacting with people who share your experience can be truly invaluable. By attending a dementia support group with people just like you living in the Greater Pennsylvania area, you can:
- Receive comfort and reassurance
- Express your feelings in a non-judgmental environment
- Give and receive practical advice
- Share helpful resources and information
- Build strategies for coping with the demands of caregiving
- Forge lifelong relationships with people who understand
St. Barnabas coordinates two dementia support groups for memory care patients, community residents, and their caregivers. Conducted by highly trained facilitators certified by The American Alzheimer’s Association, these include:
- Alzheimer’s and Other Dementia Support Group: Designed for caregivers, this group brings together the spouses, relatives, and friends of individuals living with dementia in a warm, supportive environment.
- Memory Café: Spending quality time with a loved one coping with dementia can be a fraught experience for both parties. At our Memory Cafés, caregivers and loved ones can relax with others who understand their experiences while forming caring, encouraging bonds.
There is no need to RSVP for support groups – please feel free to join whenever you are able. Participants can share their stories, offer input, or simply listen and enjoy a comforting sense of community.
Learn More about Dementia Support Groups in Allegheny County
If you’re supporting a senior with dementia, you and your loved one are not alone. Countless individuals in the Greater Pennsylvania area have experienced the same emotions and circumstances you’re living with, and connecting with them is a great way to find positivity in a difficult situation. St. Barnabas Health System dementia support groups are held at The Arbors III, located at 6005 Valencia Rd in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania. For more information or questions about our memory care services, please contact us today.